Friday, November 8, 2013

Light Bulb

We've been talking a lot about "Peanut" around here lately. Totally unprompted by me, our daughter will see something and say, "Oh! I bet Peanut would love this! Can we get it?!" I love her sweet and generous heart. It truly bring her so much joy to pick out precious things (often her own things) for this baby she has never met. For now, the kids understand that we are in a way, sponsoring this little one. Today she spotted something she insisted we buy for Peanut, and it turned into a whole mini shopping spree. (I heart Sam's Club.) A treasure hunt for Christmas gifts for the little one! B was practically giddy. "Mommy these are SO soft. Mommy, this is SO cute! Can we get it?!" I had to say no to a few things, because well, 3 foot tall teddy bears just don't fit in a gallon Ziploc bag, but there were also a few yeses. We couldn't decide which "My First Christmas" outfit was cuter, so B said, "Why don't we get BOTH?!" Um, hello! We kinda have to! :) We ended up with a pretty sweet loot.
And then this other thing happened. We were browsing the book section, and I came upon a baby book. It caught my eye because it was a Sophie The Giraffe baby book (the same character giraffe as in the photo above). As I was thumbing through it, there was the "family tree." Spaces for "Mommy", "Daddy", and "About the day I was born..." I shut the book. I didn't say a word, but my B girl is a quick one.
B: "Peanut doesn't have a mommy," she said in a sad whisper. She glanced at the book, and back to me. So genuinely saddened by this fact.
Me: "I know, baby." I rubbed her back, and started to guide her away from the book table. 
Then some little light bulb went off in her head, and she froze.

B: "Mommy, can we just adopt Peanut?! Peanut needs a family, and is so little and SO cute! We should adopt Peanut!"
Me: Stunned silence. Blink. Blink. "Well, that would be so great. Peanut IS so precious. I don't know yet baby, but I think its a great thought."
 
This is getting hard.
 
Reader, friend. Please be praying for this Peanut of ours. We want so much to be the family this child needs. The process right now, is unpredictable and unstable. The timelines, non-existent. Each hopeful anything seems to be met with some miserable something. So we are taking it one day at a time. For now, we are sending a little Christmas cheer to Africa, and with it, our love, and prayers, and HOPE. Hope for health, for family, and for a future TOGETHER. For no more Christmases without a family.
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment